Tuesday 2 November 2010

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti

As promised, here is a review of Ariel Pink, or more like just a statement that I went to see them.

First up was support act, Geneva Jacuzzi. She was pretty cool. Throwing together some well 80's synths, killer dance moves and a cool outfit. Perhaps the only downer was that I just couldn't hear what she was saying, but whether that was the venue or her style, I do not know.



Then, came who we had all been waiting for, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. One thing that you can't deny about these guys, is that together, they really do look like an odd bunch.

Anyhow, they kicked things off with 'Bright Lit Blue Skies' which got the crowd going. They followed up with 'Beverly Kills' and then 'L'estat (Acc. To The Widow's Maid).' What followed next, was not quite so well documented, mainly because my BB ran out of battery and that I, errm, err, hadn't y'know, errr, like, errm, kinda listened really to anything err, like pre-Before Today.

The higlight for me was when they played 'Round And Round' and 'Can't Hear My Eyes' back to back. What really struck me, was how very loud they were. It was a bit like a sort of lo-fi faux-metal type of music with some raging guitars, frantic drumming, but barely audible vocals. All of their songs had this quality. I was a little disappointed that they extended this to 'Round And Round' because I was hoping it would be as gentle and soothing live as it is on the record, but it was still good.

They finished with an encore of 'Butt-House Blondies' and 'Little Wig' they left the crowd happy and dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment