Monday 29 November 2010

Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie xx

If Rough Trade's Album of The Year List (RTAOTY) is anything to go by, this should be a match made in heaven.

The producer of last year's album of the year and member of the band who won said award, Jamie Smith, has teamed up with this years runner-up in the RTAOTY, Gil Scott-Heron, to provide a reworking of 13 tracks from I'm New Here for a new album We're New Here, which is set for a release on February 21st 2011.

Will it work?

Who knows? You can already listen to 'NY Is Killing Me' here or here.



Sounds very dubstep-y to me. I'm usually not a fan, but I quite like it because unlike a lot of dubstep I here, it's not too minimal. Having more than just a bass line and a clap sample, it provides an interesting listen, and when you add Gil Scott-Heron's unique vocal delivery, it gets even better.

You can take a risk and hope you like it and buy it now, or wait until the release. Although, I suspect the physical copies, especially vinyl, will be limited, so I'd bust a move over to the website and buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment